Last year I got to see some fantastic performances in some wonderful venues both in Ireland, Europe and further afield.
2024 looks like it’ll also be a very good year for concerts and other live performances. A lot of world class acts are touring. Sadly getting tickets for some concerts these days is literally a lottery and the price of some tickets can be more than most people are willing or able to pay. Would I like to see John Williams conducting again? Of course I would, but I’m not going to fork out several thousand dollars for the ticket!
So who will I be seeing in 2024?
I’ll be starting the year with U2 at The Sphere in Las Vegas. I managed to get a ticket for the weekend of my birthday, so I’ll be heading there for the weekend after spending a few days en route in LA.
Other concerts I’ve lined up include:
- World of Hans Zimmer
- Chemical Brothers – I’ve been a fan for years. No idea what they’re like live, but I guess I’ll find out.
- Celtas Cortos – I saw them live in Tarragona last year and they were great
- Letters Live – the event in London was incredible. You don’t know who will be performing so it’s a complete surprise
- Bruce Springsteen – He’s meant to be incredible live.
- Rammstein – I saw them last year and it was great fun. It’s a spectacle with flames literally shooting out of things.
- Taylor Swift – Do I need to explain this? I wanted to see her live, but the tickets sell out so quick that it was impossible to get a “normal” ticket for any of her concerts. So I ended up with an overpriced one.
- Ed Sheeran – I saw him twice last year, arguably three performances as the way he did the Royal Albert Hall was like two gigs in one. He’s a great showman and just plain wonderful live.
- The The – I grew up to the music of The The.
- Lorne Balfe conducting the orchestra for Top Gun Maverick – I love soundtrack music and live is always going to be better. Seeing Lorne Balfe conduct should be a treat.
- Dave Nihill – Irish public speaker and comedian based in the US. I’ve seen both his comedy stuff and his more serious business videos and I just finished reading his book. Really looking forward to this one.
Where will I be going?
Most of the concerts this year will be in Europe, though I’ve got planned to go to two in the US. I’ll be heading to Milan, Madrid, San Sebastian, Berlin, London, Zagreb over the course of the year. In some cases it’ll be a very brief visit, but in others it’ll either be part of a longer trip or I’ll make a weekend of it.
I’m also keeping an eye out for other interesting concerts – sadly I can’t be in two places at once and, as I’ve discovered, getting to some places can be a pain. Getting from Milan to San Sebastian for example is not easy, so I’ve ended up opting to come home for a couple of nights instead.
I’ve never been to the opera or to the ballet so they’re on my “to do” list as well.